Give the school lunchboxes a touch of pizzaz with these savoury gluten-free Asian pancakes
Gluten-free Asian pancakes
- Mixing bowl
- Mixing spoon
- 300 g plain gluten-free flour (Orgran brand works well)
- 15 g gluten-free baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 100 g grated carrot (approximately 1 large carrot)
- 150 g bean shoots
- 60 g finely chopped green beans
- 25 g finely sliced spring onions
- 1 handful chopped fresh coriander leaves
- 7 g finely chopped fresh ginger
- 3 eggs lightly beaten
- 375 ml milk
- oil for frying
- Put flour, baking powder and salt into large mixing bowl
- Add vegetables, coriander and ginger
- Add eggs and milk
- Stir to combine
- In a large, non-stick frypan, heat a generous amount of oil over medium heat
- Spoon in batter to form pancakes that are approximately 10 centimetres in diameter and 2 centimetres thick
- Allow to cook for approximately 12 minutes, or until golden brown and tops of pancakes are starting to set
- Flip and cook on other side for 8 to 10 minutes, or until golden brown
- Serve immediately as a light meal, or cold in lunchboxes
It’s no secret that I’m lacking in Asian cooking skills. I love Asian food – especially because so much of it can be made gluten-free – but I just don’t have the right touch in the kitchen. Nevertheless, there are a few things that I can pull off. For example, these gluten-free Asian pancakes.
They make a great light meal and the leftovers are brilliant in the lunchboxes the next day. Best of all, there’s no limit to flavour combinations – just choose whatever veggies your family will eat, or whatever veggies will challenge their tastebuds – either way, they work really well. I decided to extend my family’s palates with fresh ginger and coriander, two of my favourite Asian flavours. I didn’t hold much hope that they’d eat them, but to my surprise, they tucked in, no problems!
You can also serve these pancakes with a dipping sauce, for example, sweet chilli sauce, plum sauce or soy sauce.
Looking for some other lunch ideas? Check out my eCookbook.